Herausgegeben von Dr. P.M. – Herausgeber der

SONNETS OF LOVE


By Josef Maria Mayer

SONNET I

EVE

Let Josef kiss me with the kiss of his mouth!
His burning love is more delightful than wine!
I want to nip at the brim of the cup of his mouth
And taste his kiss till I become drunken of love!

The fragrance of his perfume is very pleasing,
His erotic perfume wakes my desire!
His name is sweet to me like milk and honey,
No wonder that the women love my poet!

O Josef, take me away with you, come, haste!
O bring me in your chamber, in your bedroom!
The sports of love are waiting for you and me
In the secrets of mysterious Love!

THE YOUNG GIRLS

O Josef, we delight in your love and wisdom,
Your burning love is more delightful than wine!


SONETT II

EVE

My hair is black, young girls, but long is my hair,
My hair is like the hair of the Huris of Eden!
My hair is like the veil of the goddess Isis,
My hair is the veil of the bride who wedded the bridegroom!

My brother is angry about his younger sister,
He says: You shall carry for your household, sister!
But I carry not for the rose in my garden,
The butterfly comes and tastes the rose’s nectar!

O Josef whom I love, O tell me softly,
Where are you slumbering at midday on a couch?
Where do you rest at midnight in a bed?
Where is your soul when you sleep, beloved Josef?

Should I be veiled like a veiled goddess?
Should I search another man in the world?


SONNET III

JOSEF

You are like a horse, beloved, like a mare,
I want to ride on your back and pierce your flanks!
You are so beautiful as Pharaoh’s daughter,
You are mysterious as the veiled Isis!

Your blushing cheeks are beautiful, blushing rose,
Your skin is white as milk and soft as peaches!
I like the silvery earrings in your ears,
I like the string of pearls between your breasts!

I want to make you a marriage-ring of gold
And strive it on the fourth finger of your right hand!
I want to present to you a wondrous medal
Of the Virgin Mary for your neck!

I want to pray with you the rosary
And meditate only “Ave Maria Amen”.



SONNET IV

EVE

While Josef was at his table and eat his bread
And drunk his wine, my perfume spread its fragrance.
My perfume was the perfume of rose’s oil,
So Josef was the wine and Eve the rose!

My beloved is to me a flower,
Sweet smelling, resting between my milk-white breasts!
O rest between my breasts, sweet-smelling flower,
O rest between my breasts, beloved Josef!

My long black hair is red from henna blossoms
And my fingernails are red from henna.
And my beloved is a cluster of vines,
He is the Lord of Wine and I am his vineyard!

Beloved, come and drink the milk of my breasts,
Beloved, come and drink the wine of my lips!


SONNET V

JOSEF

You are so beautiful, my greatly beloved,
You are so beautiful as the Venus of Milo!
Your eyes are soft as doves, the birds of peace,
Your eyes are soft as the pigeons in the oaks!

EVE

How soft you are, o Josef, greatly beloved,
How mild is your wisdom and your charity!
Your poems are charming like magic spells!
Our bed for the sports of love is the garden in springtime!

JOSEF

Our house is build of cedar and cypress
And our bed is decked with whitest linen!

EVE

I am a rose without thorns in the garden of love,
I am a lily, the cup of by bud is deep!

JOSEF

Like a scarlet rose among the thorns
Is my wise woman among the giggling girls!


SONNET VI

EVE

An apple tree among the trees of the forest
Is Josef, wiser than the other men.
Delicious fruits of love are found in his life,
I delight to sit in his cooling shade.

I like to taste the fruit of the kiss of his lips,
His kisses are sweeter than wine to my nipping tongue!
He leads me in his chamber to his banquet,
His banner over me is red hot Love!

Beloved, strengthen me with sweetest raisins
And refresh me with the juice of the apples!
Help me, my God, because I am sick of love,
I fade away in the madness of my desire!

Josef, lay your arm around my waist
And embrace with your tenderly fingers my breasts!


SONNET VII

EVE

My beloved comes, oh look, he comes!
He is hasting, is flying the way in my garden!
He runs with his feet, his anthem is short, he sweats,
He’s coming! Hallelujah! Now he comes!

My beloved is like a stag on the hill,
The forests resound the echo of his roars!
I am like a roe, so tender and soft,
So shy like an hind is my burning desire of lust!

He gazes through my window in the night,
He’s peeping through the window to see my body!
His eyes are thirsty for the glance of my body,
His heart is hungry for the meal of my flesh!

JOSEF

Arise, my darling, like the goddess of morn,
My beautiful one and only, come and love me!


SONNET VIII

JOSEF

See and listen! The death of winter is past!
The newborn sun is shining with power from above!
The newborn daffodil erects its head
And the first birds are singing in the woods!

Wait a little and the crocuses come
And the merry butterflies suck their nectar!
The bees will come soon and make their honeycomb
And roses will blush before the sting of the bee!

The cooing of the doves is heard in the oaks,
The pair of redbreasts soon will build their nest!
The sparrows will play cheerfully on the street,
The young girls show themselves in pretty dresses!

Arise, my darling, like the goddess of morn,
My beautiful one and only, come and love me!


SONNET IX

JOSEF

My cooing dove in the green leaves of the oak,
My pigeon on the top of the living cypress,
Show me your face, the holy face of beauty,
Show me your face, the feminine face of God!

And let me hear your voice, so soft as a flute,
Let me hear your voice, my whispering muse!
Your voice is sweet like honey from the bees,
Your face is lovely like the face of Saint Mary!

EVE

My beloved is mine and I am his own,
He walks on the path of the roses and lilies.
In the evening time, when the sun goes down,
When Venus rises at the horizon, beloved,

You shall roar like a stag on the dewy hill,
That the woods resound the echo of your cry!


SONNET X

EVE

All night long I’m waiting on my bed
And look for the one I love with heart and soul,
But I do not find the one I love,
I will arise from by bed and search for Josef.

I walk through the streets and look for Josef,
I’m searching on the market-place of the city.
The policeman sees how I am searching
As I made my round in the streets of the city.

Mister policeman, have you seen my Josef?
But the policeman did not know my beloved.
Now the policeman is gone away and ah!
There are you, my beloved, my darling Josef!

I will bring you in the house of my mother
And will love you like a younger brother!


SONNET XI


JOSEF

I have in my house a couch of wisdom,
The feet are made of the costly mahagonny,
And the table near the couch is oak,
On the table stands a cup of glass.

When I lay on the couch, I deck myself with the fleece
Of the lamb and deck myself with linen.
The pillows I inherited from my grandmother,
The couch I inherited from my father and mother.

Young beautiful maidens, come and see my house,
Young beautiful maidens, sit on my second couch!
I want to see the beauty of freshest youth!
Come, visit me, ye sixteen years old graces!

See the crown I wear on my wedding-feast!
My mother made the crown for my day of joy!


SONNET XII


JOSEF

How beautiful you are, my Eve, how sweet!
Your eyes are soft as the eyes of cooing doves,
Your hair is like the veil of the goddess Isis,
The black hair flowing down to the top of your breasts!

Your teeth are white as pearls or ivory,
Your anthem is fresh like sugared peppermint,
Your lips, oh sweetest lips, a scarlet rose,
O mouth, you are like a ruby or red wine!

Your breasts are like the ewe of an holy cow,
I want to drink the milk of your motherly ewe!
Your breasts are white like lilies on a mountain,
I’m thirsty for the milk of the lilywhite Lilith!

You’re altogether beautiful in perfection,
You are the most fair female of your sex!


SONNET XIII


JOSEF

You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride!
You came in the night as a thief and stole my heart!
With the flash of your eyes you’ve stolen my heart,
With the wondrous medal on your necklace!

How delightful is your beauty, my bride,
How pleasing is your tender love, my sister!
I’m drunken from love more than from red wine,
I’m drunken from the fragrance of your perfume.

Your lips, sweet lips, are sweeter than the honey,
Milk and honey are under your caressing tongue!
The fragrance of your clothes is like the fragrance
Of all the spices of Arabia’s market.

You are like a garden locked up, my chaste beloved,
You’re like a fountain of lust and pleasure, my darling!


SONNET XIV


EVE

Away, O north wind of the bitter winter,
And come, O south wind of the lusty summer!
Hot south wind, blow on my garden, blow on my flower,
The kingdom of Love is a kingdom of summer!

Beloved Josef, come into my garden
And pluck the fig from my fig tree and gather the myrtle!
Taste the wine of my pomegranates, beloved,
And taste the juice of my apples, Josef, my darling!

JOSEF

I will haste and come in your garden, my bride,
I will pluck the fig from the fig tree, beloved!
I will eat the raisins in your vineyard,
I will drink the red wine of your passion!

THE FRIENDS OF JOSEF

Eat, o Josef, the honey of her body,
And drink, o Josef, the red wine of her blood!


SONNET XV

EVE

I slept on my couch, but my loving heart was awake.
Listen, my heart! My beloved is knocking:

JOSEF

Open your heart for me, my sister, my darling,
My dove, my beloved, beauty without a spot!

My head is full of dew, my heart full of tears,
My hair is drenched with the dampness of the night!

EVE

I have already taken off my clothes,
Shall I clothe myself again in my dress?

I have bathed my body in the milk of a camel,
Shall I soil my naked body again?
He thrust his hand through my latch-opening softly,
My innermost soul began to pound for him!

I arose to open for my beloved,
My fingers are wet on the handles of the bolt.


SONNET XVI

THE GIRLFRIENDS OF EVE

What can you tell about your beloved friend,
Why is he better than the other men?
What can you tell about your own court’s poet,
Why is he greater than the other poets?

EVE

My beloved poet is radiant,
His thinking head is pure like purified gold.
His beard is long and grey like the Fathers beard,
As you can see on the icon of God the Father.

His eyes are lovely like the eyes of doves,
His look is charming, full of burning desire.
His speaking mouth is like a scarlet rose,
He is always talking about divine love!

He is my friend and my comrade and my fate,
O my girlfriends of the Gnostic church.


SONNET XVII

THE GIRLFRIENDS OF EVE

Where has your beloved Josef gone,
O woman, most beautiful woman of all the women,
Which way doth your beloved Josef turn,
That we may look for him with you, our girlfriend?

EVE

My beloved has gone down to my garden,
He smells the fragrance of the garden’s roses,
He smells the fragrance of the garden’s thyme
And feels the Eros in the soul of my garden.

He is dreaming in midst of the newborn crocuses
And is meditating in midst of the tulips.
He is weeping over the self-love of Narcissus
And prophesies out of the flight of the sparrows and doves.

I am my beloved’s and he is mine,
He feels the Eros in the soul of my garden.


SONNET XVIII

JOSEF

Turn your blue eyes from me, beloved Eve,
They overwhelm me, your look makes me a fool!
Your hair is black like the mantle of Mother Night,
Your long hair is flowing like a cataract!

Your teeth are like the pearls of a rosary,
Your beautiful teeth are white like ivory.
Your temples behind the veil of your long black hair
Are reddish like the halves of a pomegranate.

There are queens and empresses in the world
And there are thousands of concubines of free sex,
There are pretty young maidens on every street,
But my perfect one is the only one for me!

The young girls saw her and praised her erotic beauty,
The concubines of free sex praised her sex-appeal!


SONNET XIX

THE FRIENDS OF JOSEF

Who is she, appearing like the dawn,
Like Usha, the maiden-goddess of the morning?
Who is she, appearing like the moon,
Like Diana, the goddess of the moon?

Who is she, appearing like the sun?
When we see at morn the rising sun,
We see our lady rising at the horizon!
She is the queen of cosmic energies
And the beautiful female face of the world’s soul!

JOSEF

I went down in the grove of nut trees and saw
God’s heavenly throne in the likeness of a nut!
I went down in the vineyard to see the vines
And saw the child-bearing vines with the fruits of the cluster!

Before I realized what happened to me,
I stood in midst of the faithful children of God!


SONNET XX

JOSEF

How beautiful your bare feet in the sandals,
You walk in the sandals of Juno, heaven’s queen!
Your graceful legs – oh spread your legs – are like jewels,
You are the master-piece of the hand of an artist!

Your little navel is a rounded goblet
That never lacks the red wine of mystical union!
Your waist is golden like a mount of wheat,
Encircled by the purple buds of the poppies!

Your breasts are like two fawns, two lovely twin fawns
Of the gazelle, they are whipping up and down!
You opened your dress of transparent silk and I saw
Your naked breasts full of the milk of comfort!

Oh beloved, my wanton lust, my pleasure,
You are my sex-idol, you are my sex-goddess, Eve!


SONNET XXI

JOSEF

You goose-neck is like an ivory tower
And your blue eyes are blue like swimming-pools,
Your nose is like the nose of a kingly eagle,
Flying in heaven to see the godly sun!

Your head is like the mystic of Mount Carmel,
Veiled by the seven veils of Mother Night!
Your hair is purple by the tincture of henna,
I am an un-free captive of your tresses!

How beautiful you are and how pleasing, Eve,
Your naked breasts like clusters of fruitful fruits!
I will climb the apple-tree of your body
And pluck the fig from the fig-tree of your sex!

Your breasts are like clusters of grapes on the vines
And I will suck from your breasts the wine of love!


SONNET XXII

EVE

Come, my friend, let us go to the countryside,
Let us spend the night together in the village.
The moral system of virtue in our souls
And the stars of the firmament above our heads!

Let us wander to the vineyards of France
To see if the vines are child-bearing with the clusters,
To see if the peach trees of immortality are in bloom,
There I will give you the intimacy of my body!

At midnight we will dig the magic mandrake
Out of the holy womb of the black mother earth,
We will celebrate the charms of love,
We will love as magicians the magic of Eros!

We will unite our bodies and our souls
And mix our minds in the mystery of love!


SONNET XXIII

EVE

If only you were to me like a brother,
Who was nursed at my mother’s abundant breasts,
Then, if I find you outside in the garden,
I would kiss you as a sister kisses her brother.

I would lead you in the house of my mother
And would eat with you at my mother’s table.
My dearest mother had taught me how to love
And how to be full of soft and tenderly mercy.

I would give you costly champagne to drink,
As my poor mother loves to drink champagne,
And I would give you the sweet juice of my apples,
And you would embrace with intimacy my body!

O women, do not awake my beloved from sleep,
Until his angel awakens him with a kiss!


SONNET XXIV

EVE

Under the apple tree I embrace your body,
There your faithful mother conceived you in love,
There she who was in labour gave you birth.
I celebrate the feast-day of your birth!

Place me like a seal on your loving heart,
Like a seal on your embracing arm!
The passionate love of Eros is stronger than death!
But jealousy is unyielding like mother grave.

The love of Eros burns like blazing fire,
Like a mighty flame of the love of the Godhead!
Even the pacific ocean can not quench my desire!
Even the north-see can not sweep away my lust!

No man can buy my love with gifts of money,
No man can buy my body with valentines!


SONNET XXV

JOSEF

You who dwell in the garden in midst of the roses
And in midst of the crocuses, lilies and tulips,
You who dwell in the womb of Mother Nature,
Whose intellectual soul dwells in the World’s Soul,

Let me hear your voice, the sound of a flute,
Let me hear your voice, my whispering muse!
The friends of my poetry are waiting for you,
The friends of my poetry are waiting on my muse!

EVE

Come away, my beloved, on the mountains,
Let us talk to the Most High on the heights!
Let us be a pair of married eagles,
Flying in heaven to look in the face of the sun!

And jump like a stag on my spice-laden mountain!

And let us mix our souls in sexual love!