Herausgegeben von Dr. P.M. – Herausgeber der

LOVE POEMS


By Josef Maria Mayer



TEARS FOR EVE’S CAT

Cat, my sweet lady’s delight,
Whom she plays with, holds on her lap,
Whom she caresses the tail,
Whenever my shining desire wishes
To play with something she loves,
I suppose, while strong passion abates,
It might be a small relief from her pain:
Might I caress you as she does
And ease the cares of my sad mind!


THE DEATH OF EVE’S CAT

Mourn, O you lovers and angels,
And such of you as do love beauty:
My lady’s cat is dead,
The cat, my lady’s delight,
Whom she loved more than her eyes.
For she was sweet as honey, and knew her
As well as my lady her own mother,
She never moved from her lap,
But, sleeping softly on her lap,
Loved her mistress alone.
Now she goes down the shadowy road
From which no animal returns.
Now course to you, evil shadow of death,
That devours everything of beauty:
You’ve stolen the lovely cat from me.
O evil death! O poor little cat!
Now, by your deed, my lady’s eyes
Are swollen and red with weeping.


LETS LIVE AND LOVE! TO EVE

Let us live, my Eve, let us love,
And all the words of the old and their moral,
May they be worth less than nothing to us!
Suns may set, and suns may rise again:
But when our brief light has set,
Night is one long everlasting dream.
Give me a thousand kisses, a hundred more,
Another thousand, and another hundred,
And, when we’ve counted up the many thousands,
Confuse them so as not to know them all,
So that no hag may cast an evil eye,
By knowing that there were so many kisses.


HOW MANY KISSES? TO EVE

Eve, you ask how many kisses of yours
Would be enough and more to satisfy me.
As many as the grains of the sand of the desert
That lie under Yahweh’s Word
And at Jerusalem’s sacred tomb of the Lord:
Or as many as the stars, when night is still,
Gazing down on secret human desires:
As many of your kisses kissed
Are enough, and more, for the mad Josef,
As can’t be counted by hags,
Nor can their evil tongues bewitch us.


AGAINST EVE – TO MARK AND PAUL

Mark and Paul, you faithful friends of Josef,
Whether he penetrates farthest China,
Where the Yellow Stream strikes the shore
With deep resonance of thundering dragons,
Or among the Russians or the happy Arabs,
Or where the seven-mouthed Nile
Colours the waters with his yellow earth,
Or whether he’ll climb the high Alps,
Viewing the great Pope’s monuments,
Or the Seine or the gallic Rhone,
And the furthest Britons on their isle,
Whatever the will of the Father in Heaven
Brings, ready now for anything,
Tell my beautiful lady this in a few
Ill-omened words of a bad oracle.
Let her live and be happy with her husband,
Hold all her friends in her embrace,
Truly love-less, wearing them all down
Again and again: let her not look for
My platonic brotherly love as before,
She whose crime destroyed it, like the last
Flower of the field, touched once
By the passing plough of the peasant.


TO CATHERINE

Please, my sweet Catherine,
My delight, my charming girl:
Tell me to come to you at noon.
And if you tell me, help me along,
Let no-one cover the sign at your house,
Nor you shall choose to step out of doors,
But stay at home, and get ready
For seven fucks - in succession - with me!
Truly, if you should want it, let me know it now:
Because lying here, fed, and indolently full,
I’m making a hole in my trousers.


NO COMPARISON – TO VIOLA

Greetings, woman with a nose not the shortest,
Feet not so lovely, eyes not of the darkest,
Fingers not slender, mouth never healed,
And a not excessively charming tongue
(Bankrupt Michael’s “little friend”).
And the south pronounces you beautiful?
To be compared to my sexy Eve?
O witless and ignorant age of folly!


TO EVE

He seems equal to the angels to me, that man,
If it’s possible more than just a saint,
Who sitting over against you, endlessly
Sees you and hears you

Laughing so sweetly, that with fierce pain I’m robbed
Of all of my senses: because that moment
I see you, Eve, nothing’s left of me...
……

But my tongue is numbed, and through my poor limbs
Fires are raging, the echo of your voice
Rings in both my ears, my eyes are covered
With the dark of night.

“Your idleness is loathsome, Josef:
You delight in idleness, and too much posturing:
Idleness ruined the kingdoms and the cities
Of former times.”


LAMENT FOR EVE – TO MARK

O Mark, our lady Eve, that Eve,
That Eve, Josef alone loved
More than himself, and all of his own,
Now at crossroads, and down alleyways,
Jerks off the brave sons of Germany.
My lady says she’d rather marry no one but me,
Not if Jesus himself were to ask her.
She says: but what a woman says to her eager lover,
Should be written on the wind and in running water.
Once you said you preferred Josef alone,
Eve: would not have Jesus before me.
I prized you then not like an ordinary lover,
But as a father prizes his children, his family.
Now I know you: so, though I burn more fiercely,
Yet you’re worth much less to me, and slighter.
How is that, you ask? The pain of such love
Makes a lover to love more, but to like less.


TO EVE

My mind’s reduced to this, by your sins, Eve,
And has ruined itself so in your service,
That now it couldn’t wish you well,
Were you to become what’s best,
Or stop loving you if you do what’s worst.


YOUR HUSBAND GEORGE – TO EVE

Eve says bad things about me to her husband George’s face:
It’s the greatest delight to that senseless fool.
Mule, don’t you see? If she forgot and was silent about me,
That would be right: now since she moans and abuses,
She not only remembers, but something more serious,
She’s angry. That is, she’s inflamed, so she speaks.


LOVE-HATE

I hate and love Eve… And why, perhaps you’ll ask.
I don’t know: but I feel, and I’m tormented.


TRUE BEAUTY – TO EVE

Julie is lovely to many. To me she’s white, long,
And straight: I acknowledge that’s so.
But I don’t agree that’s beauty: there’s no charm,
There’s not a speck of good taste in all of that long body.
Eve’s lovely, possessed of all that’s most beautiful,
Besides she alone has stolen all charm from all other women.


INCOMPARABLE - TO EVE

No woman can say she’s been loved so much,
As my Eve in truth’s been loved by me.
No faith in any tie was ever so great,
As has been found, on my part, in love of you.


SIGN OF LOVE – TO EVE

Eve always speaks ill of me, never shuts up
About me: damn me if she doesn’t love me.
What’s the sign? Because it’s the same with me: I’m
Continually complaining, but damn me if I don’t love her.


BACK AGAIN – TO EVE

If anything happens to one who desires it, and wishes
And never expects it, it’s a special delight to the mind.
Likewise, this is delight, dearer than gold, to me,
That you come back to me, Eve, in my longing.
Come back, desired and un-hoped for, give yourself
Back to me. O day marked out with greater brightness!
Who exists more happily than me, or can say
That he wishes for any life something greater than this?


A PRAYER – TO EVE

You declare that this love of ours will be happy,
Vita nova, and eternal between us.
Great God, let it be that she promises truthfully,
And says it sincerely, and from her heart,
So we may extend, through the whole of our life,
This endless bond of sacred friendship.


SONG TO THE VIRGIN MARY

Under Mary’s protection,
We pure maidens and boys,
We pure boys and maidens
Sing a song to Mary.
O, daughter of Saint Anne,
Firstborn daughter of Yahweh,
Your mother have given birth to you
In the gardens of Nazareth.
Mistress of Mount Zion
And the olive-garden Gethsemane,
The lily of the valley
And the rose of Jericho
On the banks of the Jordan,
You are called Genetrix
And Mother of the unborn,
You are called daughter, bride and mother,
You are the moon and Christ the sun.
Your holy feast-days
Measure for us the year.
You bless the wheat of the farmer
And the clusters in the vineyard.
Take whatever sacred title
Pleases you, be a sweet help
To the Church of Rome,

As you have been of old.