Herausgegeben von Dr. P.M. – Herausgeber der

SPIRITUAL WEDDING WITH GOD


Sonnets by Josef Maria Mayer


TO MOTHER NIGHT


I

It was a night, no star on heaven was to be seen,
When I with my heart full of the longing of love
(Oh grace! How awesome and beautiful you are!)
Went totally unseen out of my silent house.

In the security of the silent darkness
I went the steps down from my door to the street
(Oh grace! How awesome and beautiful you are!)
My house stood silent in the obscurity of the night.

Joyful night, where I alone in the secret
Stood watching, no man and no woman saw me.
I did not look at any human being,
The only guide I had, was Love in my heart!

Love guided me better than the sun. I knew him!
Love awaited me, where no-one appeared!


II

Mother night has united Love and his nymph!
The beautiful nymph had been transformed into Love!
On the breasts of the nymph –ah – Love lay sleeping!
She caresses the transcendental body of Love!

Soft breezes blew – the nymph caresses his body,
She parted his hair, he wounded her heart by his arrow!
With his finger he made mad her senses!
She abandoned her own soul and forgot her ego!

Love and his nymph lay tenderly breast to breast,
She directs the looks of her eyes to his face.
All things ceased. She went out of her soul.
All her cares are drowned in his fire!

The nymph forgot herself in the bed of roses,
In the bed of thorns united with Love!


ON BURNING LOVE


I

O living flame of Love who wounds my soul!
O tender wounds of my soul in its deepest centre!
Oppress me, holy Love, if this is your will:
Tear down the veil of your face, O Charity!

Delightful are my wounds like glossy pearls.
O gentle hand of Love! O delicate touch!
I taste the sweetness of eternity!
In killing me you changed my death to life!

O holy lamp of fire of Love in whose splendour
The deepest grotto of my sensual feeling
(Once obscure and blind in spiritual darkness)
Now gives forth a light so warm and clear

To the Psyche, the well-beloved of Love!
Psyche herself become a light from the Light!


II

How gentle and how lovingly, blessed Love,
You wake in my heart, you wake day and night.
In the morning you are a breath of new life
And at midnight you are sweet intimacy.

In the secret of my heart you dwell
Alone, O godly Love, and no one else.
I feel your anthem breathing in my anthem.
Breeze again, breeze again, I sigh!

Your breath is filled with goodness and with glory,
And so you are inspiring my songs of love.
Now my heart and all my senses are swelling
With burning desire, inspired by the God of Love!

Take my swelling heart and transform it totally
That I become a charity in Charity!


LOVE AND PSYCHE


I

PSYCHE SINGS

Where have you hidden, beloved, your beautiful body,
And left me mourning in my solitude?
You fled like a stag in the forest after wounding me,
I went out calling you, but you were gone.

O pastors in the sheepfolds on the hill,
If by lucky chance you see my beloved,
The holy God of Love whom I love most,
Tell him I am sick of love, I suffer, I die!

Seeking my beloved God of Love,
I will wander to the waterside.
I will not gather crocuses, tulips and roses,
I will not fear the barking dogs on the streets.

I will go beyond strong men and frontiers
Till I find the soul of my beloved.


II

PSYCHE SINGS

Woods, planted by the hand of my beloved,
O ye green meadows full of the leaves of grass,
Green gardens, shining bright with crocus and tulip,
Tell me, has my beloved passed by you?

Pouring out a thousand lovely graces,
He passed this woods and meadows and gardens in haste,
And having looked at the woods and meadows and gardens,
He clothed them all in the cloth of his perfect beauty.

Ah! Whose spirit has the power to heal me?
Do not send me any more messengers!
They can not tell me what I thirst to hear!
Now wholly reveal yourself in evidence,

Reveal the evidence of your godly body
And let me consume the flesh of your godly body!


III

PSYCHE SINGS

All the people who see you tell me marvels,
Tell me thousand graceful things of your beauty,
They wound me and leave me dying in my desire!
Oh, there is I-don’t-know-what in their whispering!

How can life endure without lively love?
I am nearly brought to death by your arrows!
What do I conceive of my beloved?
A wounded heart full of desolation!

You have wounded my heart with wounds of love,
Why don’t you heal my heart with tenderly smiles?
You have stolen my heart out of my bosom,
Why do you leave my bosom so desolate, lonely?

Why do you fail to caress my wounded bosom?
Why do you fail to embrace my lonely body?


IV

PSYCHE SINGS

Take away from me this misery,
No-one else than you can resolve my soul!
May my eyes behold your perfect beauty,
You are the light of my eyes, you are my anthem!

Reveal your presence in the midst of my life!
When I see your beauty, I must die!
The sickness of my heart can be cured only
By the presence of your body and blood!

O fountain of Love! In the silver dew of your face
You may suddenly form the blue-eyed look
Of your eyes I have desired with passion,
Your look I bear in the midst of the depth of my heart!

Do not look further on my body, beloved,
Cause I am bewitched by the charm of the flash in your eyes!


V

LOVE SINGS

Return, my dove, return, my pigeon!
I was the wounded stag on the hill in the wood,
But now the dove of love is came back to me,
My hot desire is cooled by the breeze of your wings.

PSYCHE SINGS

O my beloved, the mountains and the valleys,
And the blue islands in midst of the ocean,
The mighty rivers, streaming through the vineyards,
The murmur of the love-stirring breezes of Zephyrus,

The deep tranquillity and the trance of the night,
The silent music and sounding solitude,
The dreams at time of the rising dawn at morn,
The vision of love’s union in morning dreams,

All this is united in the supper,
That refreshes and deepens the love of the heart.


VI

PSYCHE SINGS

Catch us the foxes, the little foxes, beloved,
For our southern vineyard is now in flower.
The tulips come out of mother earth in spring-time.
It is sweet to wander in the pine-wood.

Away, you bitter-blasting north-wind of winter,
But come, o south-wind, and blow in my garden!
Breath, o south-wind, and let my fragrance flow,
My beloved will feed amid the tulips.

Stay away, young maidens of the city,
While among the tulip and the crocus
The fragrance of my body spreads its perfume,
Stay away, young girls, in the streets of the city,

O women, do not ask to touch my household,
Where I am together with my beloved.


VII

PSYCHE SINGS

Hide yourself, my beloved friend,
Turn your face to the clouds and do not speak,
Do not look at those strange and cold companions,
They feel not the fire of love in their frozen hearts!

LOVE SINGS

Swift-winged sparrows and robins in the bushes,
Roaring stags on the hills and roes in the woods,
Mountains and valleys and streams in the vineyard,
Ocean and storm and loneliness in the night:

By the golden lyre of Apollo and
The whispering of the Muse, I conjure you:
O world, be silent and touch not the walls of the house,
That my girlfriend may sleep in deeper peace!

O bride of my soul, sleep well and dream something sweet,
Like I have dreamt a dream of your beauty last night.


VIII

LOVE SINGS

The beautiful girlfriend has entered the garden
Of her desire, and she rests in delight,
Laying her goose-neck on the gentle arm
Of her beloved, the soul-mate of her heart.

Beneath the apple tree who stood in flowers
I took you for my own, beloved girlfriend,
And I restore your soul and inner heart
Under the apple tree where your mother conceived you.

PSYCHE SINGS

Our bed of mystical marriage is in flower,
The roaring lions surround our bridal bed,
Purple linen deck our marriage bed
And our chamber is built up in peace.

We are crowned with thousand shields of gold,
We are crowned with the marriage crowns.


IX

PSYCHE SINGS

Following your footsteps, beloved friend,
Young girls run with you the way in the city.
The touch of a spark of light and the wine at night
Is like the flowing balsam of my God.

In the chamber I drink the wine of my friend,
And when I went abroad through all the streets,
I no longer know anything, beloved,
And I lost the community which I was following.

My beloved gave me his motherly breast,
He taught me a sweet and living knowledge and wisdom.
I gave myself to him, keeping nothing back,
I told him all the mysteries of my soul.

I promised to be his soul-mate and mystical bride

And he said: No-one is more beautiful than you!